Thursday, March 8, 2012

Kenyan Nurses, Please Emulate Florence Nightngale

The recent Countrywide strike by Nurses is a total shame to our government and a total show of ignorance and neglect of this humble profession by both players, Govt and Nurses. How can a delivering mother and Child die outside a hospital whilst the nurses are watching? According to media reports, the deceased family just looked on as the delivering mother bled to death, together with the new-born baby, helplessly!! And rudely with inhumane ignorance, the Nurses just said,"Sisi tuko on strike!"(we are on strike!) What in this century are the people supposedly tasked to assist a human being in this time of need just watch as the needy person dies?!Florence Nightingale(Lady of the Lamp)sacrificed herself to take care of the injured soldiers even when no one thought of going to the war front!!
Normally, a nurse is expected to be attached emotionally to her career or even the patients. Florence Nightingale syndrome is a term used to describe a situation where a caregiver, typically a doctor or nurse, develops an emotional attachment to a vulnerable patient in his or her care. This attachment may progress into a sexual attraction. But this is exactly the opposite of what our Nurses did. Instead of even paying attention to that woman who was in need, at least to show the world that they love who n what they are, even when the Govt doesn't seem to give a darn, they let money n anger come in between their pledge to serve at all times!
And to the government of Kenya, PLEASE AVERT MORE DEATHS by giving the nurses their due, considering that our nurses are worst paid compared to other developing countries! With Vision 2030 in motion, can we ditch all primitive ways n uphold the straight ways to enhance our lives together with the future of our beloved Country????

I leave you with the Florence Nightingale which EVERY new nurse pledge...

"I solemnly pledge myself before God and presence of this assembly;
To pass my life in purity and to practice my profession faithfully.
I will abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous and will not take or knowingly administer any harmful drug.
I will do all in my power to maintain and elevate the standard of my profession and will hold in confidence all personal matters committed to my keeping and family affairs coming to my knowledge in the practice of my calling.
With loyalty will I endeavor to aid the physician in his work, and devote myself to the welfare of those committed to my care"

1 comment:

JOE Hard ass said...

Hey budy You can't go blamming the .gov.ke Its a battle btwn the two sides. The stronger one wins at the expense of the sickones. But hey the private hospitals are still there